How is your weather?

Common issues related with growing bamboo in Central-Eastern Europe...

Moderatorzy: Sobal, Gantz

needmore
Mowgli
Wpisz jaki mamy teraz rok.: 0
Kontaktowanie:

How is your weather?

Post autor: needmore » 20 lip 2008 20:53

How has the weather been for the bamboo in Central Europe this year? Have you had good rain with warm temperatures?

Awatar użytkownika
Bpjea
Gajowy

Re: How is your weather?

Post autor: Bpjea » 21 lip 2008 01:25

needmore pisze:How has the weather been for the bamboo in Central Europe this year? Have you had good rain with warm temperatures?
First of all we had another warm winter (in my garden the lowest temperature was about -16 degrees C, similar as the year before), second in row. Spring was said to become hot from the very begining but it was rather cool and rainy (much colder than usual).
Summer seems very nice with enough of rain and sun. At least in my garden, in south-eastern part of Poland the soil is moist all the time and the temperature sticks to some 24 degrees C with maximum at some 31 deg. C for a few days and low of about 20 deg. after some days of stormy weather. At night we get from 14 to 18 (20) deg. C usually. All the bamboos are doing just great :)
Something that may be a problem in Poland is late frost that usually takes place in April or even in May with temperature that may drop down to -5 deg. C or rarely lower. Fortunately this year it didn't happen in my garden.
During the past few years we used to have drought in August till September mostly. Something that's obvious about the weather in August here is that it's dry and sunny usually. The point is that recently it was just too dry.
Would be nice if the fall was warm and long this year, at least till the end of October. I hope the next winter will be mild too but that's something I cannot expect :)

Greetings,
Bpjea

Awatar użytkownika
Sobal
Site Admin
Kontaktowanie:

Post autor: Sobal » 21 lip 2008 11:30

][
][
][Sobal
http://www.bambusy.pl

needmore
Mowgli
Kontaktowanie:

Post autor: needmore » 21 lip 2008 12:09

So perhaps your bamboo stays very healthy and the rhizomes will spread a lot this year? I know for Western Europe the summers stay cool and the rhizomes do not spread so much but for you it sounds much warmer in the summer. I think that people are not correct when they say with cold winters the rhizomes do not spread so much - it is the hot summers with good rain that let them spread. We have very much humidity also, is your summer air dry or also much humidity?

Awatar użytkownika
Sobal
Site Admin
Kontaktowanie:

Post autor: Sobal » 21 lip 2008 13:02

Long-term average:
Humidity near Warsaw:
Obrazek
Rain/snow:
Obrazek
Temperature:
Obrazek
][
][
][Sobal

needmore
Mowgli
Kontaktowanie:

Post autor: needmore » 21 lip 2008 19:53

I think your weather is similar to mine, except we do not get much snow and winter will be colder here; I think that it becomes hot here faster and is hotter is summer in general but still close to the same for bamboo.

Awatar użytkownika
Sobal
Site Admin
Kontaktowanie:

Post autor: Sobal » 22 lip 2008 11:19

Obrazek
][
][
][Sobal

Awatar użytkownika
Bpjea
Gajowy

Post autor: Bpjea » 22 lip 2008 19:19

needmore pisze:So perhaps your bamboo stays very healthy and the rhizomes will spread a lot this year? I know for Western Europe the summers stay cool and the rhizomes do not spread so much but for you it sounds much warmer in the summer. I think that people are not correct when they say with cold winters the rhizomes do not spread so much - it is the hot summers with good rain that let them spread. We have very much humidity also, is your summer air dry or also much humidity?
We have much warmer summers in general than in Holland or UK for example. I guess my bamboo will spread well. However my Phyllostachys aurea stays in clump rather and P. bissetii is a heavy spreader - that's something not very surprising. Perhaps aurea would spread too if the winters were much warmer. The only problem here are the winters' frosts. Normal winter temperature by me is around -24 deg. C (for short periods mostly), but we get sometimes weeks with night temperature below -12 deg. C all the time. So no matter how well the bamboo will grow during the summer, it can be severly knocked down in winter. Freezing to the ground all the culms may happen quite often here.
The summer air contains a lot of humidity where I live, in the south of Poland. I get more rain here due to living not far from the mountains. That's surely not that much in comparison to what they get in Holland for example. However it's pretty humid air.
In comparison to Indiana, we get much less sun because we live much to the north (higher latitude - for example I live at 50°34’ N).

Greetings,
Bpjea

Awatar użytkownika
Sobal
Site Admin
Kontaktowanie:

Post autor: Sobal » 26 sty 2009 13:12

Bpjea pisze:[..]Normal winter temperature by me is around -24 deg. C[..]
Do you mean minimum temperature...?
][
][
][Sobal

Awatar użytkownika
Bpjea
Gajowy

Post autor: Bpjea » 12 kwie 2009 00:36

Sobal pisze:
Bpjea pisze:[..]Normal winter temperature by me is around -24 deg. C[..]
Do you mean minimum temperature...?
Yes, that's what I meant - my typical winter minimum. Recently we had another mild winter, just -16 the lowest but I know some folks in Poland got less than -20 deg. C this year.

Greetings,
Bpjea

ODPOWIEDZ